Sunday, June 7, 2015

Tiny beginnings

Tiny House Brainstorming 

"Ok where do we start?" Is what we were asking ourselves. With my husband working full time, me working daycare at home full time and part time coaching and raising an infant the possibilities were overwhelming! We started by casually watching the show Tiny House Nation. To get an idea of what layout would work for us. 

Networking

While watching the show I saw my former colleague Ryan Kasl and his family and immediately got excited. So I talked with his wife and she gave me some tips and we decided to try to get on the show. We realized we had to make some quick decisions and searched Pinterest like crazy. We narrowed down some likes and dislikes and got our first interview for the show. No word yet on if we get on but it was a great way to get the ball rolling. Next, it was time to find a trailer and contractor. 

Trailer and contractor

This was by far the hardest part. Being in Minnesota we realized quickly that most of the Tiny House movement is on the East Coast or West Coast. I networked with people on Facebook and found Joshua. (tinyhousebasics@gmail.com) Make sure to like him on Facebook!  He was great and answered all our questions and got us a quote. The only tricky part was the trailer would be made in Washington And we would have to have it shipped to us. While thinking about this we found a great company called The Natural Built Home Store (http://www.naturalbuilthome.com/) and they were willing to take on the tiny house challenge and help us with our home. We purchased Andy Morrison's plans and sent them off to the contractor to get an estimate. (http://tinyhousebuild.com) 
While waiting for this estimate my sister in-law (also a soon to be tiny house owner) saw a TV special mentioning a contractor in Minnesota. Apparently I had missed him in all my google searches. So we e mailed him and got an immediate response and as they say the rest is history! 

No comments:

Post a Comment