Thursday, June 11, 2015

Do you have to be construction savvy to start a tiny house?

Building your tiny house

Ok... Here's the deal... My hubby and I almost decided not to build a home due to the fact we have zero know how on building let alone plumbing or electric. We are two busy parents with no time to research countless hours on YouTube on how to build things. It would literally take us 10 years! I have so much respect for those who can and will build their tiny home themselves. We are in a place where we need the tiny house quickly so I can stay at home with my son and we can be financially ok still. 

Off grid = low tech?

I have very strong feelings about being environmentally conscious! I especially like the Native American teaching that states anything you do must be sustainable for the next 7 generations. In other words whatever I do now, can I do without harming anyone or anything for hundreds of years? I always try to keep that in mind when making decisions. With that being said off grid doesn't have to mean I am going to sit in a shack, burn wood, shower once a month and have no connection to the real world. Technology has a purpose as long as we use it wisely. We plan to have a modern yet self sustaining home. 

We will have rain water collection, solar power, wood burning her source, propane oven and composting toilet. We are hoping to have some sort of grey water system and a skinny fridge. Of course as we research we can try to adapt old ways of doing things such as underground fridge, outside toilet for summer, etc but with a toddler we feel what works best for us right now is take things slow.

Back to basics

How funny we live in a world that going back to basics takes research. I would love to have self sustaining lifestyle. We have done chickens and will again. I will continue to improve my gardening skills and would love to get better at composting and the zero waste lifestyle. That is really what led us to tiny house idea because it was a step in the right direction but a baby step. Someday maybe an earthship or portable green house. Who knows the possibilities are endless. 

Main Point 

Take it slow! Do what works for your family! I was so caught up in being fully sustainable and off grid right away but it was too overwhelming. We all do the best we can at each moment. As long as it brings you and others joy... Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment